24 Smith Road, Suite 306
Midland, Texas 79705
Pat Long-Weaver is a founding partner of Long-Weaver & Manning, LLP.
A veteran trial lawyer, she has been Board Certified in Civil Trial Law since 1995 by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. Her experience includes representation of oil and gas stakeholders, from surface/royalty owners to start-up independents to Fortune 500 companies. With an emphasis on oil and gas litigation, condemnations, environmental issues, and complex business litigation, as well as major incident personal injury defense, she performs both as first chair and as a team manager, taking cases through trial and appeal. She also serves as a mediator.
Her expertise extends to all facets of commercial and oil and gas contract disputes, royalty owner disputes, spill/remediation litigation, pipeline condemnations, and access, surface use, and right-of-way litigation. She represents units of local government, businesses, and individuals in disputes ranging from contract to property rights.
She is a dedicated volunteer in the State Bar of Texas and is past chair of the Litigation Section Council. She also serves on the Oil and Gas Pattern Jury Charge Committee. This is coupled with being a former officer and director of the Texas Association of Defense Counsel, as well as a long-time member of the International Association of Defense Counsel. She was also a Member of the American Association of Petroleum Landmen in 2017-2018 Held by Production / Royalty Issues Task Force
Pat is a Scout through and through. She serves on the Executive Board of the Buffalo Trail Counsel of the Boy Scouts of America. She is a longtime participant in, and avid volunteer for, the Girl Scouts of the Desert Southwest and has received multiple awards from the organization in recognition of this loyalty including the 2018 Summit Award. She is a fifteen-year volunteer on the CAMP CEO project assisting high school girls. Pat is a devoted sponsor of Masterpiece Theater on BasinPBS and Marfa Public Radio and serves on the BasinPBS Board of Directors. She also serves on the Board of Trustees of the Howard Payne Academy of Freedom.
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit;
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Texas
- Texas (1985)
- New Mexico (2016)
Baylor University School of Law, J.D., Cum Laude, 1985
- Baylor Law Review
- Baylor Order of Barristers
Howard Payne University, B.S., Magna Cum Laude, 1982
Awards & Recognition
- Texas Super Lawyer, Thomson Reuters (2014-2019)
- Board Certified in Civil Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization (January, 1995)
- Girl Scouts of the Southwest Summit Award (2018)
- Named to the 2012 Outstanding Class of Volunteers by the Girl Scouts of the Desert Southwest
- Named to the 2006 Woman of Distinction by the Girl Scouts of the Permian Basin
Publications and Presentations
- Panelist, “Working Alone or as a Team: When and How Legal Superheroes Should Work Together”, Advanced Civil Evidence & Discovery Seminar, Texas bar CLE, Houston and San Antonio, Texas, 2019.
- “JOA Over and Under: A League or its Own”, Handling Your First (or Next) Oil and Gas Case, State Bar of Texas, Austin, Texas, Dec. 5, 2018.
- “Maintaining Oil and Gas Leases” AAPL Held by Production Seminar, Midland, Fort Worth, Denver, 2018, speaker and member of AAPL Held by Production Task Force.
- “Witness Examination – and Planning Your Trial” Texas Association of Defense Council West Texas Joint Meeting with New Mexico Defense Lawyers Association, Ruidoso, New Mexico 2017.
- “You Only Get One Shot! Lessons from Hamilton. Witness Examination at Trial” Texas Bar CLE, Austin, Texas, December 2016.
- “What to do if You Find Yourself on the Wrong Floor of the Courthouse: Litigation Update”, 2016 Santa Fe Land Institute, A.A.P.L.
- “Damages and Attorney’s Fees Update” Litigation Update, State Bar of Texas, Austin, Texas 2016.
- “May the Force Be with You – Update on Oil and Gas Trends in the Permian Basin” North Texas Chapter of Women’s Energy Network, Fort Worth, Texas, November 2015.
- “Expert Witness Update,” Texas Association of Defense Council West Texas Joint Meeting with New Mexico Defense Lawyers Association, Ruidoso , New Mexico, August 2015.
- “Legislative Update: Litigation Section Live Webinar,” State Bar of Texas, Austin, Texas, July 2015.
- “Legislative Issues Roundtable,” Texas Association of Defense Counsel Meeting, Galveston, Texas, April 2015.
- “The Pipeline Clog,” Midland’s Natural Gas Society of the Permian Basin, Midland, Texas, October 2014.
- “Energy Law in Texas,” Texas Association of Defense Counsel Annual Meeting, San Antonio, Texas, Sept 2014.
- Environmental “Challenging and Defending Experts Effectively,” New Mexico Defense Lawyers Association and West Texas TADC Seminar, Ruidoso, New Mexico, August 2014.
- “Daubert/Robinson Challenges – Don’t Win the Battle Just to Lose the War – How to Effectively Present and Defend Daubert Challenges, Defense Counsel Summer Seminar, Coeur d’Alene, Idaho, July 2014.
- “Rapid-Response Investigations,” How to Respond to OSHA Reportable Incidents Houston Texas Oil Gas Presentation to Industry Representatives, Lake Wood Country Club, Houston, Texas, 2014.
- “Damages in Oil & Gas Litigation,” State Bar of Texas 6th Annual Damages in Civil Litigation, Dallas, Texas, February 2014.
- “Allocation Well Changes,” Trends, Terms and Lessons Learned Series, Midland, Texas, February 2014.